What are the O level subjects required in WAEC and NECO to study Music? If you are interested in knowing the compulsory subjects in WAEC and NECO that is necessary for studying Music under the faculty of Arts and Humanities in the university, then continue reading this post as I have provided you the subject combinations required in WAEC result as well as NECO result to study Music.

waec logo
waec logo

Referencing the introduction already made above, this is a notice to all aspirants who wish to apply for admission into any of the universities in Nigeria to study Music under the faculty of Arts and Humanities that the list of compulsory subjects as well as optional subjects required in O level result (WAEC and NECO) before applying for admission into Music has been published in this post.
As mentioned above, some of these NECO and WAEC subject requirements are compulsory which means you need to have at least a minimum of Credit passes (C6) in them in your o level result before you can use it to apply for admission to study Music.
Also, keep in mind that some schools may have special subject combination requirements for the subjects that are eligible to be used in JAMB before one can gain admission into Music. Irrespective of the subjects required by each school, English Language and Mathematics are compulsory subjects that you need to pass before you can gain admission to study Music.
If you are also interested in JAMB subject combination for Music you can start by checking out JAMB subject combination for Music here or use the general approach by checking JAMB subject combination for all courses here.

Other Useful Resources

Before you proceed, check out the following resources that will help you better prepare for JAMB:

O Level (WAEC and NECO) Subject Requirements For Music

The WAEC subjects required to study Music are as follows:

Five SSCE credit passes including Music and English Language.

Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks

(i) BU accepts Music Society of Nigeria’s Grade V Certificate, Trinity College of Music Grade V certificate and Associated Board of Royal Schools of Music Grade V Certificate and other Arts or Social Science subjects.

(ii) OAU and UI – Credit pass in Music is not compulsory.

(iii) UNIUYO does not insist on Credit pass in Music at SSCE. If a candidate earns a Grade V certificate in the Associated Board of Royal School of Music (ABRSM) Examination or Music Society of Nigeria (MUSON) Examination, it will be an added advantage.

(iv) UNIPORT accepts credit passes in English Language and any other four subjects (a credit pass in Music is an added advantage).

(v) UNIJOS requires five O’ level credit passes to include English Language, Literature in English and any Arts/Social Science subjects at not more than two sittings.


(i) UNN and UNIUYO require candidates to pass Audition test which is held on the last Thursday and Friday of August every year.

(ii) UNIUYO does not insist on Credit pass in Music at SSCE

(iii) OAU accepts candidate with credit in English Language and four other subjects but with no qualification or certificate in Music may be considered provided they posses UTME requirements.

(iv) DELSU does not insist on credit pass in Music at O/Level Both UTME and DE candidates must pass its departmental audition test.

(v) UNIZIK does not require credit in Music but does accepts a pass in English Language.

(vi) LASU accepts NCE (merit) in Music Education, Music Technology/Music from recognized institutions.

(vii) OAU requires credit in another language, African or European.

(viii) DELSU accepts HND )Upper credit) into 300 level. Also accepts Associated Board of Royal School of Music (ABRSM) Grade.

(ix) UNIPORT – No Direct Entry.

As mentioned earlier, the WAEC subject combination and requirements for Music posted above are only eligible if you want to study Music under the faculty of Arts and Humanities. If the course you are looking for is in another faculty, keep in mind that the o level subject requirements may vary and as such, you need to check the WAEC and NECO requirements for that course under the faculty of interest. You can check JAMB brochure for all faculties here.

List of Schools That Offer Music

This section contains the list of schools that accepts the O level subject requirements for Music posted above. These are the schools you can apply to if you have passed the Music subject requirements mentioned above either in your WAEC result or your NECO result. You can find the schools by selecting the faculty and course in JAMB brochure here.



    Can I study music, if I didn’t do it in my ssce at all?

Write A Comment